The world is becoming more sustainable each day. So, to reduce the consumption of natural resources, we need to choose an eco-friendlier alternative. And in the construction industry, what could be a better option than steel in this case? Uses of steel are limitless. It is the primary metal and first choice of every architect and engineer. It’s imperative to understand the importance of steel. And by the end of this blog, you will get a hang of it.
What makes steel the ideal choice for the construction sector
Well, here are some reasons to shed light on the popularity of steel:
- Exceptional strength -Steel possesses outstanding strength, endurance, unrivalled spanning ability, and dimensional stability. Thus, steel offers complete freedom to designers.
- Freedom in design – Due to its unmatched properties, steel allows architects & engineers to experiment with new ideas and products.
- Excellent properties – Steel is earthquake resistant, fire-resistant, corrosion-resistant, eco-friendly & efficient in all seasons. It takes any desired shape, reduces construction time, and possesses more characteristics.
- Efficient energy use – Steel is energy efficient. It means that it uses less energy to perform the same task. And in turn, it is good for the environment and economy. It helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions, construction costs, etc.
- Create value – Steel can be used to make other products. With state-of-the-art technology, these products get desired properties that provide them with a higher value. It also ensures more applications across industries.
Uses of Steel in construction projects
There are limitless possibilities for using steel in buildings. Some of the applications are:
Usage in buildings
- Structural steelwork: Steel frame structure provide a strong, rigid frame for the building. Steel beams and steel framing are crucial elements of the construction industry.
- Reinforced concrete: This steel product adds tensile strength and stiffness to concrete. This building material helps reinforced concrete provide deep foundations.
- Non-structural steel: Steel components use heating and cooling equipment and interior ducting.
- Others: Steel finds its application in internal fixtures and fittings in a residential building.
Steel usage in infrastructure
- Transport: Bridges, tunnels, rail tracks, fueling stations, train stations, ports, and airports comprise steel. Most of the steel in these applications is rebar steel. Rest as steel beams, steel frame, sections, and more.
- Utilities: Again, most steel is used as underground pipelines to distribute water and gas.
Importance of steel in the construction industry
In a construction project, steel is the primary construction material. In the construction industry, building with steel has numerous benefits. Some of its advantages are listed below:
- Extremely versatile
- High strength
- Relatively low weight
- Long-span distances
At the end
By now, it’s evident that steel is a primary construction material. So, be mindful of where to buy best-in-class steel products. Check out our Products and Technology page to know about our products!